Perhaps one of the biggest concerns of those considering a Keurig brewer is whether or not you can brew your own ground coffee. I am thrilled to share that YES, you can now brew your own ground coffees with both classic Keurig models as well as 2.0. Although, it is not the most convenient route to take when it comes to Keurig brewing, it can save you a little cash. Don't get me wrong it, is not incredibly difficult to do (instructions here) it is just a far cry from the joy of popping in a K-cup pod and enjoying a fresh cup of gourmet coffee in about a minute.
The beauty of these little gadgets is that they open up an entire new world of possibilities for your Keurig. Now, the already immense number of choices is pretty much endless. If you are ready to take the plunge, there are a few things you should know:
1) There are two different kinds of My K-cup filters each works the same but are only compatible with certain brewers. There is not a great way to tell them apart other than looking at them and comparing to the images below. In addition, there should be a notation on the box.
This version is compatible with classic Keurig models K10 MINI Plus, K40/45, K60/65, K70/75/79:
And this version is compatible with Keurig 2.0 models K200/K250, K300/K350, K400/K450/K460, K500/K550/K560:
2) You can brew any size coffee with the reusable filter. Each type is optimized to brew all cup sizes that the brewer is capable of, varying from 4-12 oz. depending on the brewer used.
3) Both versions of the My K-cup reusable coffee filters are dishwasher safe, top rack please. You are certainly welcome to wash them by hand with warm soapy water as well.
4) The My K-cup brewing process works best with a coarser ground coffee. If you are grinding your own fresh beans, avoid a finer grind, it may cause clogs in your unit in addition to not prodcing an optimal taste.
5) You should not use grinds twice. I am all about getting the most out of everything I use but, processing your coffee grinds twice simply offers poor results. Compost them instead, your garden will love it!
Brewing your own coffee witht the My K-cup reusable filter is such a wonderul option for those that demand freedom of choice and for the budget savvy. Enjoying your favorite cup the way YOU want it is exactly what Keurig is all about and this is just one more example.
P.S. I highly recommend purchasing two My K-cup filters to ensure that you have a back up when one is dirty : )