I have no particular rhyme or reason for making todays recipe. All I knew is I wanted something iced and loaded with chocolate, chocolate and more chocolate!
Up this week…Triple Chocolate Iced Coffee.
I realized once I completed my concoction, I had something similar to a Mcdonalds Frappe. I have personally never had a Frappe from Mcdonalds and with good reason- a medium (16oz) has 630 calories and costs $2.79!! Not to mention we really have no idea what it is actually made out of, I am quite sure it was created in a science lab rather than a kitchen. No thank you, I will make it myself.
First, gather your ingredients, you will need:
- 2T chocolate syrup
- 2T chocolate chips
- 2T cocoa powder
- 1T vanilla extract
- 1/4 C skim milk
- 2 cups ice
- 1 extra bold Keurig Kcup coffee
(makes 3 large servings)
- Start by brewing the extra bold Kcup coffee on the lowest water setting of your Keurig (I brewed mine right into the measuring cup of milk- why dirty another dish?). Pour all of the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend on the smoothie setting until the ice reaches your desired consistency. I like mine very small so that they are barely noticeable in the drink.
- Pour into 3 tall, ice filled glasses. Top with whipped cream and cinnamon if desired, sip and enjoy!
But, is my Keurig Kcup Triple Chocolate Iced coffee any better than a Mcdonalds Frappe? I was pretty sure the answer would be yes but, decided to do some calculations to prove it. Be forewarned me + math does not add up so if I have made any errors please feel free to correct me.
First I analyzed the cost:
- 1 extra bold Keurig Kcup coffee purchased from our Wacky Wednesday sale= .49
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup = .08
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder = .34
- 2 Tbsp chocolate chips = .16
- 1 Tbsp vanilla = .64
- 1/4 cup milk = .03
TOTAL= 1.74 / 3 = .58 per serving!!
Wow, my recipe will save you $2.21 per serving!! I know it is always more cost-effective to make your own anything at home but, I had no idea that it would be such a big difference. However, none of that means anything if the calories prohibit us from enjoying it…
Keurig Kcup coffee = zero
- 2 Tbsp chocolate syrup = 100
- 2 Tbsp cocoa powder = 20
- 2 Tbsp chocolate chips = 160
- 1 Tbsp vanilla = 12
- 1/4 C skim milk = 23
TOTAL= 337 / 3 = 113 calories per serving!
A whopping 517 calories less that a Mcdonalds Frappe!!
When you consider the average sweet treat is well above 113 calories, this is a dessert beverage that will give you tons of bang for your calorie buck! I found it to be quite filling and definitely satisfies those chocolate cravings : )
Save time, money and calories while enjoying a heavenly chocolate treat, what more could a girl ask for?!
You may also like: