Love is in the air! I am a huge fan of Valentines Day. I truly enjoy spending the day showing everyone in my life how much I appreciate them in small, simple ways. It always starts with a special breakfast, perhaps a note in the lunch boxes, a small gift and a little treat for co-workers and friends. Most of these items are low in cost and generally homemade. This year will be no different and I thought I would share this idea with you, my fellow coffee lovers!
Shh don't tell them but, several of my loved ones will be receiving sweet chocolate covered spoons for their Valentine this year. I even plan on sending them to teachers and neighbors. They are so cute and easy to make, melt perfectly in coffee and hot cocoa and cost pennies to make!
You will need:
- 1 cup of milk chocolate chips. You could also try semi-sweet or white chocolate.
- Holiday sprinkles and candies
- Start by melting the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Heat them for 30 seconds and then stir. After another 30 seconds they should be fully melted.
- Dip each plastic spoon in the chocolate and twirl to completely coat, filling up the spoon with chocolate. Use another utensil like a second spoon or a little spatula to help you spread the chocolate over the spoon as needed.
- Once coated in chocolate, arrange the spoons in a row on a baking sheet lined with wax paper. If you prop the spoon handles along the edge of the baking sheet the chocolate won't run out of the spoon.
- Add sprinkles and candies as desired.
The chocolate should solidify in about 20 minutes. You can hurry it along by placing the entire tray in the refrigerator for a few minutes. This will make about 12 spoons. They're perfect stirrers for a cup of hot chocolate or coffee! Thats it, a thoughtful Valentine made in your own kitchen in under under 30 minutes! Don't forget to personalize it. You will need to put them in a cellophane bag then tie a gift tag around the handle and turn them into party favors or gifts for friends.
We have made this part even easier for you with this set of free, printable coffee themed, Valentines gift tags!
(click on the image to print)
I may even take it up a notch a include a cute coffee mug with a couple of K-cup coffees and 2-3 of the spoons in the mug.
Cute, huh? I just love these darn things!
How about you, are you making any homemade Valentines? I would love to see your ideas!
You may also like: