I have to admit, the idea of orange and chocolate has never appealed to me. As a child I did have a slight curiosity about the famous break apart orange chocolates that you would see every Christmas (do they still make those?). But, the flavor combination just sounded quite frankly...odd.
I thought I would do the mature thing and give it a shot for this weeks recipe. As you chocolate orange lovers probably would guess- I was pleasantly surprised. They really do make a great pair! The bright flavor of the citrus seems to add a life to the milk chocolate or a brightness that I never knew was missing.
Let's get to the recipe...
You will need:
1 Tbsp of orange zest (divided)
- Start by zesting an orange. There are a variety of orange zesters out there, I like this style (and that is a great price!) but, in general, I just use my good ol' fashioned multi purpose grater.
- Place the orange zest (minus one pinch for the topping) into your favorite large mug.
- Next, brew your Cafe Escapes milk chocolate hot cocoa K-cup directly into the same mug containing the orange zest. I use the highest water setting of my Keurig and am always pleased with the results.
- Stir gently.
- Top with whipped cream, cinnamon and the remaining orange zest.
The flavors in this indulgent hot cocoa recipe all play off of each other but, maintain a nice understaded taste. There is nothing overwhelming, just a pleasant play on contradicinting ingredients that creates delicious results!
- Do you enjoy Keurig K-cup coffee and hot cocoa recipes? Click here to view our full gallery of coffee recipes!
This post may contain affiliate links.