Unless you have been living under a rock, you have heard all about the new Molten Lava Chocolate drinks recently released by Starbucks. Starbucks launched these chocolate treats just in time for Valentines day in three different varieties- a hot cocoa, a frappuccino and a latte. Since I am a latte lover and a chocolate- aholic, there was no way I could not turn this amazing little number into a Keurig born recipe proving once again that there is nothing that my Keurig can not do.
There are three components to to the Molten Chocolate Lava Latte- the latte itself, the whipped cream and the chocolate drizzle. Each can be made easy with K cup coffee and a few simply ingredients. Of course you could use store bought chocolate syrup and chocolate whipped cream but, that just isn't the way we roll around here.
You will need:
For the chocolate drizzle:
- 1 C granulated sugar
- 1/2 C cocoa powder
- 1t vanilla
- 1 C water
- 1 t espresso powder (optional)
For the chocolate whipped cream:
- 1 C heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 C powdered sugar
- 1/8 C cocoa powder
- 1 t espresso powder (optional)
For the latte:
- 1 Lavazza Perfetto Espresso Roast Kcup coffee
- 1 Cafe Escapes Cafe Mocha Kcup
- 1 T semisweet chocolate chips
I would advise making the chocolate drizzle first so that it has time to chill and thicken as you make the other parts. In addition, while you are making the chocolate drizzle, place your bowl and the wire whip (whisk) that you will be using to make the whipped cream in the refrigerator to chill.
To make the chocolate drizzle:
- Whisk together the cocoa powder, sugar and espresso powder (if you are using it) in a medium size sauce pan.
- Add the water (cold is fine) and vanilla.
- Stir over medium heat until it comes to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and stir slowly until it thickens (about 3 minutes).
- Remove from heat and place in fridge to chill
You will have far more chocolate syrup than you can use on one latte. You can save this chocolate syrup in the fridge and use it to make chocolate milk, hot cocoa, drizzle on ice cream, etc. Or better yet...more Molten Lava Chocolate Latte!
Next, make the chocolate whipped cream:
- Start by sifting the powdered sugar, cocoa powder and espresso powder (if you are using it) into a medium size bowl.
- Add the heavy whipping cream to your now chilled bowl and mix on medium speed with the also chilled wire whip for 2 minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix for 2-3 more minutes or until stiff peaks form.
Finally, to make the latte:
- Add the chocolate chips to a large mug.
- Brew the Lavazza Perfetto Espresso Roast Kcup on the 6 ounce setting of your Keurig brewer (if you are using a Keurig 2.0 you should also choose the "strong" option) directly over the chocolate chips.
- Next, brew the Cafe Escapes Cafe Mocha on the 6 ounce water setting directly into the same mug (if you are using a Keurig 2.0 you should also select the hot cocoa/ other option).
- Stir to melt the chocolate chips. If you find that they are not melting completely just microwave your combination for 15 seconds and stir again.
Time to put it all together:
- Top your latte with whipped cream.
- Drizzle with a generous portion of chocolate syrup.
Boom. A chocolate lovers dream come true made in your own kitchen! This baby is packed so full of chocolate goodness you will think you have died and gone to heaven. The massive amounts of chocolate flavors are enhanced by hints of espresso, a truly complimentary pair that will leave you taste buds asking...what the heck just happened?
A Molten Lava Chocolate Latte just happened, that's what!
You may also like: