Photo credit: Keurig used with permission
Who loves coffee more than college students? Um…pretty much no one. This generation has high standards when it comes to their morning brew. What do you expect, they have grown up with a Starbucks® on every corner and gourmet coffee in their homes.Very few have witnessed their parents make instant coffee in the microwave (yuck) as I have. Finding them the perfect “off to college” gift has never been easier, a Keurig® brewer is on every college students wish list.
Not only will the college student in your life be eternally grateful to have a coffee maker in their dorm room, you can rest easy that you have made a wise buying decision for many reasons:
- Junior will not be tempted to stop at the campus coffee shop on the way to class and blow $3-$4 of his or her limited budget. I can completely attest to this, many years ago I worked at a college coffee shop and was amazed at the amount of money these students were spending everyday!
- If there is not a kitchen or access to coffee near your students dorm, with limited transportation getting to a store may be near impossible leaving them coffee-less.
- Coffee is essential for all nighters!
- They can brew a cup to go and be out the door in under a minute. Assuring that they make it to class on time (hopefully).
- It can serves as an instant hot water dispenser, creating a dual purpose. Your son or daughter can prepare instant oatmeal and ramen noodles with their coffee brewer.
- The Mini does not have a water reservoir. That means it has to be filed with water every time you use it. The chances of your students dorm room having a sink are between slim and none. They are not going to enjoy running to the nearest sink every time they want a cup of coffee, who would? This concept completely destroys the convenience factor.
- The Mini is not UL approved for a commercial setting. Some dorms will not allow things such as toasters, coffee makers and microwaves for fear of a fire.
- A travel mug will not fit under the brew spout of this brewer, eliminating on the go coffee.
To get the most for you hard-earned dollars we recommend the K1500. This unit is commercial grade and UL approved. The K1500 is sleek and stylish built with a heavy grade plastic and chrome accents. It is not much larger than the Mini and the best part is you get more bang for your buck.The 1500 is generally only priced $10-$20 higher than Mini units and significantly lower than brewers that you see for sale in retail stores.
It is clear that purchasing a Keurig® brewer for the college bound makes sense but, will they like it? Two words- heck yes. Take a look at these Twitter messages from actual college students:
“The fact that we have a Keurig® for our dorm room makes me feel completely prepared for college now”
“Shout out to my parents for buying me a Keurig® for college!!”
“I’m just gonna take the Keurig® to college with me and hope mom doesn’t notice.”
“Now that my dorm room will have a Keurig®, I know I have a chance at surviving college”
“My parents think I can wait until college to use my Keurig®….HAHAHAHAH I’VE BEEN WAITING FOR THIS MACHINE FOR LIKE 3 YEARS COME TO ME BABY”