As I stared at my Starbucks® Caramel Cloud Macchiato my daughter shared two interesting facts. Ariana Grande invented it and eggs are an ingredient. I did not believe either but, I did know for sure that I held in my hands something extraordinary. The Cloud Macchiato shares some qualities with a standard macchiato. But, for the most part–it is a new and blissful experience. And P.S. My daughter was actually correct on both points!
What is a Cloud Macchiato?
The Cloud Macchiato is an espresso based drink with a foam layer. Rather than a standard foamed milk, the "cloud" is made from an egg based meringue (you can substitute meringue powder for a vegan option). The eggs create a stiffer foam and a brand new coffee drinking experience. You know how the foam of lattes and cappuccinos sometimes melts into your coffee way too quickly? That does not happen with the Cloud Macchiato.
Did Ariana Grande invent the Cloud Macchiato?
It may not seem important enough to create a header but, I know you were wondering–don't deny it. Ms. Grande did not invent the Cloud Macchiato; instead, she partnered with Starbucks®. The two created a coffee drink that represents her brand. As followers of Ariana know, she loves her cloud ☁️emojis!
How do I make a Cloud Macchiato at home?
There are a handful of recipes available to make a Cloud at home. All are way too complicated. I was boiling milk just to turn around and freeze it. I found myself using cheesecloth to squeeze out lemon zest solids, and other things for which I have no time. Most called for meringue powder, which is fine for a vegan option, but, who has meringue powder on hand? I have come up with an easier version that you can make at home with simple ingredients. I promise you; the results are as good as the Starbucks® version (actually better 😉) .
How to make a Cloud Macchiato using a Keurig® brewer.
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 C granulated sugar
- 1/4 C milk
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 dark roast K-Cup® coffee pod
- Add the 2 egg whites and 1/4 cup of granulated sugar to a mixing bowl.
- Beat until stiff peaks form a meringue.
- Add 1/4 cup of milk (whole is best, I used skim), 1 Tbsp of maple syrup, and 1 tsp of cinnamon (I prefer Penzeys brand) to the meringue.
- Beat lightly or fold until combined.
- Prepare a dark roast K-Cup® pod on the lowest water setting of your Keurig® brewer (I used Cafe Bustelo Espresso – Starbucks Cafe Verona or French Roast are excellent choices as well) .
- Fill a cup half way with ice and top with the meringue.
- Finally, pour the brewed coffee slowly into the same cup.
Are there different flavors of Cloud Macchiato?
- Purchase Cafe Bustelo K-Cup® pods here
- Purchase Starbucks K-Cup® pods here
- Purchase meringue powder here
- Purchase flavored coffee syrups here
- Purchase Penzeys cinnamon here
- How to Make a Pink Drink Using a Keurig® Brewer
- Eggnog Latte Made With a Keurig® Brewer
- 3 Ingredient Shamrock Mint Mocha [Made With a Keurig® Coffee Maker]
- Easy Snickerdoodle Hot Cocoa (Keurig® Brewer Version Included