Hot chocolate bombs are hollow chocolate balls filled with cocoa powder and marshmallows. When you melt the outer shell with water or milk, the marshmallows explode out. Then, your mug fills with mouth watering cocoa.
Your kids want hot chocolate bombs. Heck, you are dying to try these magic melting hot chocolate balls. But, they are nowhere. It makes sense since there were 1 million searches on Google this month – no wonder you can't find any.
It is time to take matters into your own hands. You can make your own. With the right directions and supplies, the process is quick. In this article, we will teach you how to make hot chocolate bombs in a few easy steps. Plus, we have included a bonus mocha version!
Hot Chocolate Bombs Recipe
- Almond Bark Melting Chocolate
- Hot Cocoa Mix
- Mini Marshmallows
- Valentine Chocolate Candy
- Wilton Candy Melts or Frosting
- Semi Sphere Silicone Molds
- Warm Plate
1) Melt your almond bark chocolate according to the directions.
2) Add a tablespoon of chocolate into each of your molds. Use a brush to cover the sides, or tilt the mold to cover all the sides completely.
3) Let the chocolate harden and gently pop the molds out.
4) Warm a plate in the microwave, or run one under hot water and dry off.
5) Place half of the chocolate molds on the plate for a few seconds to smooth out the edges, and set aside.
6) In the smoothed chocolate molds, add 3 tablespoons of hot cocoa mix, marshmallows, and chocolate pieces.
7) One at a time, place the rest of the chocolate molds on the hot place and immediately place on top of the filled chocolate mold.
8) Hold in place for a few seconds until set.
9) Repeat with the rest of the cocoa bombs, filling in any gaps with melted chocolate if desired.
10) Melt red, pink, purple, or any other color Wilton Candy Melts (or use frosting), and quickly drizzle over each of the cocoa bombs. Add sprinkles if desired.
Your cocoa bombs are ready. Add them to 1 cup of hot milk, and enjoy!
Bonus: Mocha Bombs
Try adding your hot chocolate bombs to a cup of coffee instead of milk. The chocolate and coffee will blend and leave you with a delicious cup of mocha. You can make it even easier with your Keurig® brewer. Place your hot chocolate bomb in a large mug. Now, brew your favorite K-Cup® pod into the same mug. Stir well and enjoy a sweet caffeinated treat!
What Size Mold for Hot Chocolate Bombs
Molds for hot chocolate bombs range in size from 2 - 2.5 inches. Most will make six bombs. If you want your bombs to fit well in a standard coffee mug, choose a 2 ¼ size mold. Try to find molds made from silicone. This pliable plastic makes it easier to remove the balls without breakage.
How to Make Hot Chocolate Bombs Without a Mold
There are several options you can choose to make hot cocoa bombs without a mold. You just have to get creative. Any oval or round shaped vessel will work. Make sure you can remove the chocolate without breaking it. Or try any store-bought, hollowed-out chocolate. Think snowmen, hearts, and eggs!