The Keurig® K15 coffee brewers go by many names, the K10, the mini, and classic. No matter what you call it this little guy is straightforward and versatile on top of being compact and sleek. The Keurig® K15 brews three size cup sizes: 6, 8, and 10 ounces in slightly under two minutes. If you are a long time user, you know that time has improved dramatically. Also, you can use any K-Cup® pod in the Keurig® K15. We still recommend only using Keurig approved brands but, the choice is yours! The K15 measures 10.8"H x 6.9"W x 10.7" D, leaving you tons of open counter space.
There is one thing that makes this brewer different from other Keurig® models; there is no water reservoir. Before you scoff at that notion keep in mind, that means fresh water for each cup of coffee. This happens to be the only reason I prefer this unit. Especially for my weekend cottage. Not only does water not sit in the unit all week while I am hard at work in the real world, but winter storage is also a non-factor. Other Keurig® models can not be drained, meaning the water will sit on the coffee maker all season.
Preparing a K-cup® pod in the Keurig® K15 mini brewer can take some adjusting. When we adopted ours, there were a few choice words spoken from time to time due to overflows and short cups. But, if you follow these instructions each time, making coffee in the K15 will be a breeze!
1) Start by filling your favorite mug with water.
2) Next lift the water well lid.
3) Pour the water from your mug into the well, be sure that you are using no more than 10 ounces of water. This will be easy to determine with the convenient levels marked right in the well of the unit.
4) Next, lift the Keurig® handle. When you do this, you will hear the water drain into the heating mechanism. Do not lower this lid until all of the water flows out of the well.
5) Insert the K-Cup® pod of your choice.
6) Lower the handle to puncture the K-Cup® pod lid.
7) Press brew (the button should illuminate red).
8) In about two minutes, a freshly brewed cup of joe will begin to dispense into your cup!
The Keurig® K15 can handle larger mugs by just removing the drip tray. Also, if you happen to overfill the water well, the drip tray will save the day by harnessing the overrage. Once you complete the brewing process, your K15 will automatically turn off after ninety seconds of inactivity. Before you ask, yes the My K-Cup reusable filter will work in this brewer!
I do not have any scientific data to back the claim I am about to make, other than over ten years experience with Keurig® coffee makers...but, it stands to reason that there is less to go wrong with the K15 making longevity a bonus. In all of my years working with single serve coffee brewers, I have not received a single message regarding troubleshooting this model (knock on wood).
The Keurig® K15 is available in a variety of colors including black, white, silver, and red. This unit is perfect for smaller spaces and is pretty much meant to live in a college dorm. The diversity and ease of use associated with the Keurig® mini make it a strong contender when it comes to choosing a Keurig® model for your home as well.