Have you noticed how polite your Keurig 2.0 is? She says please and thank you all while brewing your favorite K-cup coffee. However, all of this politeness can be a bit annoying when it involves the "more water please" message. This is a common erroneous request that can occur even if the reservoir is filled to the rim with h2o. There are a few reasons this can happen and luckily they are all very simple to fix.
If you Keurig 2.0 mistakenly asks for more water try these steps:
1) Make sure that the water reservoir is seated properly in the base.
2) Remove, empty and thoroughly clean the reservoir. Then fill with fresh water and place it back in the base.
3) If after trying both of the above steps, you still see the message it may be time to descale your unit. It is a good idea to clean your Keurig 2.0 brewer on a regular basis and it solves many common issues. Click here for easy step by step instructions.
4) Still seeing the message? It is probably your water. Keurig 2.0 is very sensitive to the type of water used, specifically it does not like distilled water. The sensor that detects the water level is electrical. Without going into a nerdy scientific description that I don't even understand, that sensor requires a solid matter for electrical current to work. There are little or no solids in distilled water therefore, the sensors are not triggered leading the machine to think the water reservoir is empty. You should use filtered or bottled (not spring) water with your Keurig 2.0 for optimal performance. This pains me to say because I am a fan of distilled water- it leaves behind no machine clogging minerals (I still recommend it in other Keurig models) but, with 2.0 it simply wont work.
However, using the correct water in your brewer is of upmost importance. It is imperative that you use filtered water not only for the best tasting coffee but to ensure the optimal longevity of your unit. Luckily, there is a simple solution...use a Keurig 2.0 water filter.
I hope this helps next time your well mannered Keurig 2.0 thinks it needs more water, these tips should have you back on the road to brewing your delicious K-cup coffee in no time!
Has this happened to you? If you have any tricks that I have not listed we would love to hear them!
- Lost your Keurig owners manual? No problem, we have digital copies of the owners manuals for most Keurigs here.
- Read our article: "Top 20 Keurig 2.0 Questions Answered" to learn everything you need to know about the new models of Keurig brewers.
- Curious about Keurig recycling? Learn about recycling Keurig K-carafe coffees.