We are not huge fans of spicy foods in my household but, absolutely love a piping hot bowl of chili on these harsh winter days. However, without spices chili can be quite bland. To add a bit of flavor I have come up with a unique chili recipe that I hope you will enjoy just as much as we do!
Let's get to the recipe...
You will need:
1lb lean ground beef
1 can of kidney beans
1 can diced tomatoes
1 can tomato sauce
1 medium onion diced
3T granulated sugar
1T vanilla extract
1t chili powder
- Start by browning the ground beef in a large skillet.
- Next, brew your extra bold, dark roast K-cup coffee on the lowest water setting of your Keurig (I usually use Sumatran Reserve).
- Add the brewed coffee to the now browned ground beef, cover and let simmer on medium heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the butter and diced onion to a large sauce pan.
- Let the onion sizzle in the butter for a minute or two then add all of the canned ingredients, the sugar, chili powder and the vanilla.
- Finally, add the ground beef (do not drain).
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and let it simmer on the stove top for at least an hour (I have been known to let mine simmer all day).
- Serve in medium size bowls and top with grated parmesan cheese.
The sweet flavors of the sugar and vanilla combine beautifully with the dark roast coffee. That sweetness is complimented by just a hint of spice and rounded out with cool parmesan cheese.
I know this is not your standard chili recipe but, who wants standard?!
Do you use any unique ingredients in your chili? Please share, we would love to hear!