While perusing the baking cookbooks at the library as I always do, I happened upon a cute little book titled "No Bake Makery". It is filled with recipes that require, get this, no oven! The author uses a unique combination of store bought cookies, crackers, pretzels, etc adds a burst of flavor and tops with chocolate in most cases. Although I was dying to try them all, one in particular pretty much jumped up and screamed you must make me.
Ladies and gentlemen I give you my rendition of the perfectly named "Bite O' Joe".
You will need:
1 extra bold, dark roast Keurig K-cup coffee (I chose Sumatran Reserve)
1 box of vanilla wafers
1/8 cup of flour
1/4 cup half and half
1 1/2 cups of white chocolate chips
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
dash of cloves
dash of salt
- Start by brewing your Keurig K-cup coffee on the lowest water setting of your brewer.
- Add the cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves to the now brewed coffee, stir and set aside.
- Process the vanilla wafers in a food processor until finely ground.
- Place the now ground vanilla wafers in a medium size bowl, add the flour and salt, stir well.
- Add the 1/4 cup of the coffee (drink the rest) and half and half to the dry ingredients and combine until a dough like consistency forms.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
- Line a cookie sheet with wax paper.
- Form 1 inch balls with the dough and place on the cookie sheet.
- Once you have formed all of the dough into ball like shapes (mine were a bit blob like!) place the entire cookie sheet in the freezer for one hour.
- Melt the chocolate either with a double boiler or in the microwave. If you use the microwave heat on 30 second intervals, stirring in between.
- Dip the balls into the white chocolate, coating the entire tops and bottoms if you so desire.
- Place on a clean sheet of wax paper.
- Top with one espresso bean.
- Place in fridge for 30 minutes to chill.
Viola, you now have a fancy smancy coffee vanilla spice truffle to share with friends. I have personally hid them deep inside my freezer, where no one will find them so I can keep them all to myself!